Sales Coordinator for Jackson County Visitors Bureau (Experience Jackson)
POSITION: Sales Coordinator for Jackson County Visitors Bureau (Experience Jackson) is an exempt salaried, full-time position with some evenings and weekend required.
Summary: Through contract with the Jackson County Chamber of Commerce, the Experience Jackson Sales Coordinator provides management of the marketing and sales in accordance with mission of the organization; oversees all sales of Jackson County; develops strategic business plans to initiate and expand sectors of business that will culminate in new business leads and other relevant business opportunities in tourism and hospitality attracting visitors to the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- With agency assistance, develops, implements, measures success and adjusts as appropriate all marketing strategies that effectively promote Jackson County, MI as a destination for meetings, events and leisure.
- Contributes to market research, providing information on critical trends, market conditions and data needed to support business initiatives.
- Cultivates and maintains positive and effective relationships with hotel partners and other key community representatives relevant to the organization’s mission and business plans. Seek opportunity to collaborate with key partners to advance the growth of tourism and hospitality industry within the community
- Manages “Tourney Town” and group tours to obtain new bookings for meetings, conventions, tradeshows, special events, and public shows with priority on those bookings that have associated overnight hotel rooms and economic impact.
- Prepares talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with marketing related vendors; oversees all related projects.
- Negotiates appropriate contracts, agreements and various third party matters.
- Participates in professional organizations which advance the Bureau’s marketing initiatives and the value of tourism to the local economy.
- Represents the Bureau at meetings as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL & ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Requires physical activity for extended periods of time such as computer work/keyboarding, telephone use, sitting, standing, walking, reaching, stooping, kneeling, crouching, listening and talking.
- Requires occasional lifting, pushing and pulling objects over 40 pounds.
- Air and train travel and travel in personal automobile required for Bureau business.
- Extensive knowledge of marketing and public relations as they relate to the hospitality industry.
- Extensive knowledge of the hospitality industry and its importance to the local economy; ability to understand the role of the Bureau in the community and move the image of the organization forward.
- Outstanding leadership skills; ability to manage and mentor staff through motivation, encouragement, and critical feedback.
- Diplomatic skills in problem analysis and problem resolution.
- Strong knowledge of general business principles and practices; strong understanding of budget development and budget management.
- Ability to think strategically and make decisions and recommendations that are in line with the organization’s strategic objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as a team member at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to exercise initiative, judgment, diplomacy and maintain confidentiality in a wide variety of internal and public situations.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills including grammar, spelling and general written correspondence skills.
- Excellent computer skills; experience in Microsoft Office software.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business or related field strongly preferred. Minimum of three to five years experience in marketing or public relations required. Experience in the hospitality/tourism industry desired.
ACCOUNTABILITY: This position reports directly to the Experience Jackson President/CEO and Chamber President/CEO.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work hours are generally reasonable, but there are routinely early morning meetings, evening meetings and periods when weekend work is required.
This job description is not to be construed a contractual agreement between parties but an outline of the duties as assigned. Employment within the Chamber is considered to be at will between all parties.
Mindy Bradish-Orta, President/CEO Date
I acknowledge that I have reviewed this job description and I understand the essential functions and other requirements of the position. I agree that if there is anything in the job description that I do not understand, I will seek clarification from my supervisor or the human resources representative.